This listing contains the names of telephone exchanges prior to the 1920 start of dial service in New York City. It should be noted that the area covered by this page is the post-1898 city of New York, while prior to 1898, Brooklyn was a separate city, and there were numerous other towns and villages in what became the boroughs of Queens and Richmond. The actual directories in the 1880s and 1890s grouped listings quite differently, with Manhattan (then considered New York City) listed in one section (Harlem listed, as if it were a separate city in the same part of the directory, but after "New York City" until March 1, 1886, when it was merged as one exchange among many) and all the exchanges in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and numerous communities on Long Island and in New Jersey constituting a separate section. In that section, a separate listing was made for each community, even if it might have only a dozen subscribers. In general, the "exchange name" in each community was the community name, which thus was listed at the head of the list of subscribers in that community as well as after each subscriber's name as the exchange name. (An exception obtained in the largest of these communities, Brooklyn. While there was one listing, headed "Brooklyn, L. I.," there were, after October 1881, more than one exchange in this listing, though "Brooklyn" remained as one of them. So actual exchange names other than the community name in the header appeared in the Brooklyn listing.)
A listing in the column headed "Former exchange" is given when an exchange was renamed at some point. In those cases, numbers were not changed but the exchange name was changed for some reason. The specific reason will usually be ascertainable by consulting the appropriate Note below the table. If the word "(New)" is found there, the exchange was established as a new exchange at the time indicated, usually taking some of the subscribers from one or more pre-existing exchange(s), but with the pre-existing exchange(s) continuing to exist. If the word "Unknown" is found, more research remains to be done to establish the history of this exchange.
The column headed "Start date" in this table gives the date of the first directory containing this exchange name, if that date is not covered in the chronology charts. If it is within the period, an inter-directory period, such as "Early 1913," linked to the charts, is given. If this date is shown as "December 15, 1880," the actual exchange (in the sense of the switchboard and associated equipment) existed prior to that date, but the name was first used in the directory of that date, the first in which exchange names and line numbers were used in New York City. (The listings for some communities, primarily in New Jersey, contained them earlier; the listings for Newark, N. J. as early as July 1, 1880. But the exchange names and line numbers did not appear for New York City listings before that date.)
Under the heading "Subsequent exchange" the exact disposition is indicated as well, where known.
The column headed "End date" in this table gives the date of the first directory in which the exchange name did not appear, if that date is not covered in the chronology charts. If it is within the period, an inter-directory period, such as "Early 1913," linked to the charts, is given. If this date is shown as "November 17, 1920," the exchange actually continued past that date into the dial era, and this indication is not truly the end of the exchange in question. (The exchange could have itself remained manual, but it would have been shown in subsequent directories in dialable format, e. g., "SPRing" rather than "Spring.")
It should be noted that after the early 1880s, the Metropolitan Telephone and Telegraph Co. directories ceased to have a listing of exchange names at the front. Therefore it is necessary to deduce the start and end dates by examining individual subscriber listings. It would not surprise me to find that an exchange name I did not spot in a particular directory was, in fact, used in that directory. So for dates after the early 1880s, it must be understood that start dates might be earlier, and end dates later, than listed here.
Toward the latter part of the pre-dial era, beginning with the October 11, 1911 issue, listings of the exchanges resumed, and in fact after October 1912 there were two tables in each directory: one, which will be designated the B list in conformity with terminology used elsewhere on this site, listing business offices with the exchanges served by each office, and another, which will be designated the Z list in conformity with terminology used elsewhere on this site, listing all exchanges in alphabetical order with the borough in which the exchange was found and a number indicating the zone for billing purposes. For exchanges started or ended in this perion, therefore, precise dates are again given, though where the two lists differ, this will be noted. (It should be noted, however, that the B lists showed three exchanges, Cedarhurst, Floral Park, and Woodmere (Cedarhurst only before May 8, 1913 and Woodmere from that date onward, replacing it), which were served from Queens business offices but were located in Nassau County. These are not included in the table below, but are instead shown in the Western Long Island lists.)
|Name||Former exchange||Start date||Subsequent exchange||End date|
|Academy||(New)||Late 1915||Reformatted to||ACAdemy||November 17, 1920|
|Arrochar||Unknown||Unknown (See Note 1)||September 1, 1904|
|Arrochar Park||Unknown||Merged into||Tompkinsville||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Arverne||Unknown||Merged into||Hammels||February 1, 1908|
|Astoria||Unknown||Reformatted to||ASToria||November 17, 1920|
|Audubon||High Bridge||May 10, 1905 (See Note 3)||Reformatted to||AUDubon||November 17, 1920|
|Barclay||(New)||Mid-1908||Reformatted to||BARclay||November 17, 1920|
|Bath Beach||Unknown||Renamed to||Bensonhurst||Mid-1919 (See Note 4)|
|Bay Ridge||Unknown||Renamed to||Shore Road||1919-1920 (See Note 4)|
|Bayside (See Note 5)||Unknown||Mostly merged into||Flushing||Early 1908 (See Note 6)|
|(New)||Early 1913||Reformatted to||BAYside||November 17, 1920|
|Bedford||Unknown||Renamed to||Lafayette||Early 1920 (See Note 4)|
|Beekman||(New)||February 1, 1906||Reformatted to||BEEkman||November 17, 1920|
|Belle Harbor||Hammels||1919-1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||BELle Harbor||November 17, 1920|
|Bensonhurst||Bath Beach||Mid-1919 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||BENsonhurst||November 17, 1920|
|Blythebourne||Borough Park||Mid-1919 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||BLYthebourne||November 17, 1920|
|Bogardus Corner||Unknown||Merged into||Tottenville||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Borough Park||Unknown||See the Irregular Changes Table||September 1, 1904|
|(New)||Mid-1911||Renamed to||Blythebourne||Mid-1919 (See Note 4)|
|Boulevard||Forest Hills||1919-1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||BOUlevard||November 17, 1920|
|Bowling Green||(New)||Late 1916||Reformatted to||BOWling Green||November 17, 1920|
|Broad||Unknown||Reformatted to||BROad||November 17, 1920|
|Brooklyn||(New)||December 15, 1880||Mostly renamed (See Note 8) to||Main||March 1, 1899|
|Bryant||(New) (See Note 9)||October 10, 1905||Reformatted to||BRYant||November 17, 1920|
|Bulls Head||Unknown||Merged into||West Brighton||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Bushwick||Unknown||Reformatted to||BUShwick||November 17, 1920|
|Butcherville||Unknown||Merged into||West Brighton||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Canal||(New)||Mid-1915 (See Note 10)||Reformatted to||CANal||November 17, 1920|
|Canarsie||Unknown||Merged into||East New York||September 1, 1904|
|(New)||Mid-1911||Renamed to||Skidmore||1919-1920 (See Note 4)|
|Cathedral||Unknown||Reformatted to||CAThedral||November 17, 1920|
|Chelsea||(New)||December 1, 1903||Reformatted to||CHElsea||November 17, 1920|
|Circle||(New)||1914-1915||Reformatted to||CIRcle||November 17, 1920|
|City Island||Unknown||Reformatted to||CITy Island||November 17, 1920|
|College Point||Unknown||Merged into||Flushing||Early 1908 (See Note 6)|
|Columbus||Unknown||Reformatted to||COLumbus||November 17, 1920|
|Coney Island||Unknown||Reformatted to||CONey Island||November 17, 1920|
|Sea Gate||February 1, 1908|
|Cortlandt||John||July 1, 1890||Reformatted to||CORtlandt||November 17, 1920|
|Murray||July 1, 1890|
|Nassau||July 1, 1890|
|New||July 1, 1890|
|Pearl||July 1, 1890|
|Creedmoor||Unknown||Merged into||Jamaica||September 1, 1904|
|Cypress||(New)||Mid-1911||Reformatted to||CYPress||November 17, 1920|
|Decatur||(New)||1914-1915||Reformatted to||DECatur||November 17, 1920|
|Dongan Hills||New Dorp||Early 1920 (See Note 7)||Continued to||Dongan Hills||November 17, 1920|
|Douglaston||Unknown||Transferred to||Flushing||February 1, 1908(See Note 11)|
|Dry Dock||(New)||1919-1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||DRY Dock||November 17, 1920|
|East New York||Unknown||Renamed to||Glenmore||Early 1920 (See Note 4)|
|Eltingville||Unknown||Merged into||New Dorp||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Evergreen||(New)||Mid-1915||Reformatted to||EVErgreen||November 17, 1920|
|Farragut||(New)||1914-1915||Renamed to||Watkins||Mid-1919 (See Note 4)|
|Far Rockaway||Unknown||Reformatted to||FAR Rockaway||November 17, 1920|
|FitzRoy||(New)||Early 1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||FITzRoy||November 17, 1920|
|Flatbush||Unknown||Reformatted to||FLAtbush||November 17, 1920|
|Flushing||Unknown||Reformatted to||FLUshing||November 17, 1920|
|Bay Side||Early 1908 (See Note 6)|
|College Point||Early 1908 (See Note 6)|
|Little Neck||Early 1908 (See Note 6)|
|Whitestone||Early 1908 (See Note 6)|
|Whitestone Landing||Early 1908 (See Note 6)|
|Fordham||(New)||1914-1915||Reformatted to||FORdham||November 17, 1920|
|Forest Hills||(New)||Late 1911 (See Note 12)||Renamed to||Boulevard||1919-1920 (See Note 4)|
|Forsyth||(New)||Mid-1916||Renamed to||Dry Dock||1919-1920 (See Note 4)|
|Fort Totten||Unknown||Merged into||Flushing||September 1, 1904|
|Foster's Meadow||Unknown||Merged into||Jamaica (See Note 13)||September 1, 1904|
|Franklin||Unknown||Reformatted to||FRAnklin||November 17, 1920|
|Giffords||Unknown||Merged into||New Dorp||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Glenmore||East New York||Early 1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||GLEnmore||November 17, 1920|
|Gramercy||18th||December 1, 1903||Reformatted to||GRAmercy||November 17, 1920|
|Graniteville||Unknown||Merged into||West Brighton||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Gravesend||Unknown||Transferred to||Coney Island||September 1, 1904|
|Greeley||Unknown||Renamed to||FitzRoy||Early 1920 (See Note 4)|
|Greenpoint||Unknown||Reformatted to||GREenpoint||November 17, 1920|
|GreenRidge||Unknown||Merged into||Tottenville||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|H||Unknown||Merged into||Cortlandt (See Note 14)||March 1, 1895|
|Hamilton||Unknown||Renamed to||Henry||1919-1920 (See Note 4)|
|Hammels||Unknown||Renamed to||Belle Harbor||1919-1920 (See Note 4)|
|Rockaway Park||February 1, 1908|
|Arverne||February 1, 1908|
|Hanover||(New)||October 10, 1907||Reformatted to||HANover||November 17, 1920|
|Harlem||(New)||August 15, 1881||Reformatted to||HARlem||November 17, 1920|
|Henry||Hamilton||1919-1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||HENry||November 17, 1920|
|High Bridge||Unknown||Renamed to||Audubon||October 10, 1905(See Note 3)|
|Hoffman Island||Unknown (See Note 15)||Unknown (See Note 1)||September 1, 1904|
|Hollis||(New)||1914-1915||Reformatted to||HOLlis||November 17, 1920|
|Huguenot||Unknown||Merged into||Tottenville||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Hunters Point||(New)||Mid-1911||Reformatted to||HUNters Point||November 17, 1920|
|I||Unknown||Merged into||Broad (See Note 14)||March 1, 1895|
|Intervale||(New)||1914-1915||Reformatted to||INTervale||November 17, 1920|
|Jamaica||Unknown||Reformatted to||JAMaica||November 17, 1920|
|Jerome||(New)||Mid-1919||Reformatted to||JERome||November 17, 1920|
|John||(New)||December 15, 1880||Merged with offset into||Cortlandt||July 1, 1890|
|Unknown||Reformatted to||JOHn||November 17, 1920|
|K||Unknown||Merged into||Columbus (See Note 14)||March 1, 1895|
|Kenmore||(New)||Early 1916||Renamed to||Mansfield||1919-1920 (See Note 4)|
|Kingsbridge||Unknown||Reformatted to||KINgsbridge||November 17, 1920|
|Knickerbocker||(New)||1917-1918||Renamed to||Pennsylvania||Mid-1919 (See Note 4)|
|Kreischerville||Unknown||Merged into||Tottenville||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|L||Unknown||Merged into||Franklin (See Note 14)||March 1, 1895|
|Lafayette||Bedford||Early 1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||LAFayette||November 17, 1920|
|Laurelton||Springfield||1919-1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||LAUrelton||November 17, 1920|
|Law||See this history page||Transferred to||Cortlandt||June 1, 1891|
|Lenox||79th||June 1909||Reformatted to||LENox||November 17, 1920|
|Linoleumville||Unknown||Merged into||West Brighton||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Lispenard||(New)||Mid-1919||Renamed to||WALker (See Note 16)||November 17, 1920|
|Little Neck||Unknown||Merged into||Flushing||Early 1908|
|Longacre||(New)||Mid-1919||Reformatted to||LONgacre||November 17, 1920|
|M||Unknown||Merged into||Spring (See Note 14)||March 1, 1895|
|Madison Square||Unknown||Reformatted to||MADison Square||November 17, 1920|
|Main||Unknown||Reformatted to||MAIn||November 17, 1920|
|Mansfield||Kenmore||1919-1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||MANsfield||November 17, 1920|
|Marble||(New)||Mid-1910 (See Note 17)||Reformatted to||MARble||November 17, 1920|
|Melrose||Unknown||Reformatted to||MELrose||November 17, 1920|
|Midland Beach||Unknown||Merged into||New Dorp||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Midwood||(New)||Mid-1911||Reformatted to||MIDwood||November 17, 1920|
|Morningside||Unknown||Reformatted to||MORningside||November 17, 1920|
|Mott Haven||(New)||Mid-1919 (See Note 18)||Reformatted to||MOTt Haven||November 17, 1920|
|Murray||(New)||December 15, 1880||Merged with offset into||Cortlandt||July 1, 1890|
|Murray Hill||39th||June 1909||Reformatted to||MURray Hill||November 17, 1920|
|Nassau||(New)||December 15, 1880||Renamed to||Cortlandt||July 1, 1890|
|Nevins||(New)||Mid-1919||Reformatted to||NEVins||November 17, 1920|
|New||(New)||December 15, 1880||Merged with offset into||Cortlandt||July 1, 1890|
|New Dorp||Unknown||Renamed to||Dongan Hills||Early 1920 (See Note 4)|
|New Springville||Unknown||Merged into||West Brighton||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Newtown||Unknown||Reformatted to||NEWtown||November 17, 1920|
|Olinville||Williamsbridge||Mid-1919 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||OLInville||November 17, 1920|
|Orchard||Unknown||Reformatted to||ORChard||November 17, 1920|
|Ozone Park||Unknown||Transferred to||Richmond Hill||May 10, 1904|
|Parkville||Unknown||Merged into||Flatbush||September 1, 1904|
|Pearl||(New)||December 15, 1880||Merged with offset into||Cortlandt||July 1, 1890|
|Pennsylvania||Knickerbocker||Mid-1919 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||PENnsylvania||November 17, 1920|
|Plaza||Unknown||Reformatted to||PLAza||November 17, 1920|
|Pleasant Plains||Unknown||Merged into||Tottenville||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Port Richmond||West (New) Brighton (See Note 19)||Early 1920 (See Note 7)||Continued to||Port Richmond||November 17, 1920|
|Princes Bay||Unknown||Merged into||Tottenville||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Prospect||(New)||March 1, 1904||Reformatted to||PROspect||November 17, 1920|
|Q||Unknown||Merged into||18th St. (See Note 14)||March 1, 1895|
|Queens (See Note 20)||Unknown||Transferred to||Jamaica||February 1, 1907|
|R||Unknown||Merged into||38th St. (See Note 14)||March 1, 1895|
|Rector||(New)||March 10, 1906 (See Note 21)||Reformatted to||RECtor||November 17, 1920|
|Rhinelander||(New)||Early 1916||Reformatted to||RHInelander||November 17, 1920|
|Richmond||Unknown||Merged into||New Dorp||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Richmond Hill||Unknown||Reformatted to||RIChmond Hill||November 17, 1920|
|Riverside||Unknown||Reformatted to||RIVerside||November 17, 1920|
|Rockaway Park||(New)||May 10, 1904||Merged into||Hammels||February 1, 1908|
|Rossville||Unknown||Merged into||Tottenville||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Saint Nicholas||(New)||Late 1915||Renamed to||Wadsworth||Mid-1919 (See Note 4)|
|Schuyler||(New)||June 1909||Reformatted to||SCHuyler||November 17, 1920|
|Sea Gate||Unknown||Merged into||Coney Island||February 1, 1908|
|Sheepshead||Unknown||Transferred to||Coney Island||May 10, 1906|
|Shore Road||Bay Ridge||1919-1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||SHOre Road||November 17, 1920|
|Skidmore||Canarsie||1919-1920 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||SKIdmore||November 17, 1920|
|South||Unknown||Reformatted to||SOUth||November 17, 1920|
|South Beach||Unknown||Merged into||Tompkinsville||September 1, 1904 (See Note 2)|
|Spring||(New)||December 15, 1880||Reformatted to||SPRing||November 17, 1920|
|Springfield||(New)||Late 1909||Renamed to||Laurelton||1919-1920 (See Note 4)|
|Stagg||(New)||Early 1912||Reformatted to||STAgg||November 17, 1920|
|Sterling||(New)||Mid-1916||Reformatted to||STErling||November 17, 1920|
|Stuyvesant||Unknown||November 15, 1906 (See Note 22)||Reformatted to||STUyvesant||November 17, 1920|
|Sunset||(New)||Mid-1908 (See Note 23)||Reformatted to||SUNset||November 17, 1920|
|T||Unknown||Merged into||Tremont (See Note 14)||March 1, 1895|
|Tompkinsville||Unknown||Continued to||Tompkinsville||November 17, 1920|
|Tottenville||Unknown||Continued to||Tottenville||November 17, 1920|
|Tremont||Unknown||Reformatted to||TREmont||November 17, 1920|
|University||(New)||Mid-1919||Reformatted to||UNIversity||November 17, 1920|
|Vanderbilt||(New)||Late 1915||Reformatted to||VANderbilt||November 17, 1920|
|W||Unknown||Merged into||79th St. (See Note 14)||March 1, 1895|
|Wadsworth||Saint Nicholas||Mid-1919 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||WADsworth||November 17, 1920|
|Watkins||Farragut||Mid-1919 (See Note 7)||Reformatted to||WATkins||November 17, 1920|
|West (New) Brighton (See Note 19)||Unknown||Renamed to||Port Richmond||Early 1920 (See Note 4)|
|Westchester||Unknown||Reformatted to||WEStchester||November 17, 1920|
|Whitehall||(New)||Mid-1917||Reformatted to||WHItehall||November 17, 1920|
|Whitestone||Unknown||Mostly merged into||Flushing||Early 1908 (See Note 6)|
|Whitestone Landing||Unknown||Merged into||Flushing||Early 1908 (See Note 6)|
|William||(New)||December 15, 1880||Unknown||May 15, 1881|
|Williamsbridge||Unknown||Renamed to||Olinville||Mid-1919 (See Note 4)|
|Williamsburg||(New)||October 7, 1881||Reformatted to||WILliamsburg||November 17, 1920|
|Windsor||(New)||Mid-1919||Reformatted to||WINdsor||November 17, 1920|
|Woodlawn||(New)||Early 1912||Reformatted to||WOOdlawn||November 17, 1920|
|Worth||Unknown||May 10, 1906 (See Note 24)||Reformatted to||WORth||November 17, 1920|
|X||Unknown||Merged into||Harlem (See Note 14)||March 1, 1895|
|18th||21st||July 1, 1890||Renamed to||Gramercy||December 1, 1903|
|21st||(New)||December 15, 1880||Renamed to||18th||July 1, 1890|
|38th||39th||July 1, 1890||Renamed to||Murray Hill||June 1909|
|39th||(New)||December 15, 1880||Renamed to||38th||July 1, 1890|
|79th||(New)||July 1, 1890||Renamed to||Lenox||June 1909|
NOTE 1: Only one subscriber in the Arrochar exchange and one in the Hoffman Island exchange could be found in the May 10, 1904 directory. These subscribers were not listed in the September 1, 1904 directory.
NOTE 2: This is one of a very large number of exchanges in Staten Island that seem to have had only a small number of subscribers, often one or two, in the directories up to May 10, 1904. In the next directory, dated September 10, 1904, all Staten Island numbers were consolidated into four exchanges. But no numbers were changed, so it is possible that there were only four physical exchanges even earlier, but exchange names had been assigned to these subscribers in the belief that they would grow to larger groups with their own exchange. See also Note 6, below.
NOTE 3: Some High Bridge numbers were changed to the corresponding Audubon numbers in the May 10, 1905 directory, but others remained. All had been changed by the October 10, 1905 directory.
NOTE 4: The renaming of these exchanges was apparently in anticipation of the start of dial service in November, 1920. A table of the complete set of renamings is provided elsewhere on this site. (Note 24that two of the altered exchanges, New Dorp and West Brighton, were in Staten Island, which was non-dialable during the entire early dial era, so one must assume that eventual dialability was anticipated.)
NOTE 5: Spelled "Bay Side" (two words) in the earlier usage before 1908, "Bayside" (one word) when revived in early 1913.
NOTE 6: The Bay Side, College Point, Whitestone, and Whitestone Landing exchanges were shown in the list of exchanges of the May 10, 1908 directory. However, all telephones that I have been able to find with numbers in these four exchanges in the February 1, 1908 directory had been changed to Flushing numbers (usually the same number, but not always) by May 10, 1908. Therefore, although using the list would indicate that the exchanges were eliminated in mid-1908, an early 1908 date is most likely correct.
NOTE 7: These exchanges were created as a result of the renaming of exchanges which could cause conflicts when dialed, apparently in anticipation of the start of dial service in November, 1920. A table of the complete set of renamings is provided elsewhere on this site.
NOTE 8: The Brooklyn exchange was renamed "Main" effective with the March 1, 1899 directory. Some numbers were changed, however.
NOTE 9: The Bryant exchange, first appearing in the October 10, 1905 directory, was carved out of the territory in the pre- existing 38th St. exchange. All the numbers were new, however.
NOTE 10: The Canal exchange is listed in the B list dated May 6, 1915, but not in the Z list for this date. It appears in both lists of the directory dated October 15, 1915. The start date, thus, is unclear.
NOTE 11: At least one listing for a subscriber in the February 1, 1908 directory shows it as remaining with its Douglaston number; the subscriber is no longer to be found in the May 1, 1908 directory, so it is possible that this was a relic listing that should have been removed but was not.
NOTE 12: The list of exchanges in the October 11, 1911 directory shows the Forest Hills exchange. However, no telephones appear to have been given numbers in this exchange until the following directory (February 1, 1912). Therefore, although using the list would indicate that the exchange was started in mid-1911, a late 1911 date is most likely correct.
NOTE 13: Only one subscriber in the Foster's Meadow exchange could be found in the directories consulted. It is suspected that this exchange never had its own switchboard, but was a part of the Jamaica exchange, separately labeled for some unknown reason.
NOTE 14: These "single letter" exchanges were reserved for pay telephones. They appear to be reserved sections of regularly named exchanges, and were all merged, as of the March 1, 1895 directory, into the named exchanges. It is unlikely that they ever existed as separate switchboards.
NOTE 15: Only one subscriber in the Hoffman Island exchange could be found in the March 10, 1904 directory. This subscriber had been shown wuith the same number (except for the party line letter) in the Tompkinsville exchange in the December 1, 1903 directory, and was gone, as stated in Note 1, by the September 1, 1904 directory. It is suspected that this exchange never had its own switchboard, but was a part of the Tompkinsville exchange, separately labeled for some unknown reason.
NOTE 16: The change from Lispenard to WALker is the only one of the changes in the 1918-1920 era that does not appear to be elicited by the need to eliminate conflicts in exchange names that would be dialed identically. It seems merely to have been an arbitrary change. Also, at least one number was changed irregularly (the four digit part not being the same in the WALker exchange as it had been in the Lispenard exchange), but nearly all were changed regularly.
NOTE 17: The Marble exchange, first appearing in the October 13, 1910 directory, was carved out of the territory in the pre- existing Kingsbridge exchange. All the numbers were new, however.
NOTE 18: In the Z lists for all directories dated October 2, 1919 or later, this exchange appears. It is not found, however, in the B lists.
NOTE 19: The exchange is generally shown as "West Brighton," but in some lists of exchanges it is given as "West New Brighton."
NOTE 20: This exchange was associated with a specific area then called "Queens", smaller than the whole county, now known as Queens Village.
NOTE 21: According to a sticker notice attached to the February 1, 1906 directory, the Rector exchange opened on March 10, 1906. The sticker having been presented before that date, the actual opening may have differed from that date by a few days.
NOTE 22: According to a sticker notice attached to the October 10, 1906 directory, the Stuyvesant exchange was to open "on or about November 15, 1906." The sticker having been presented before that date, the actual opening may have differed from that date by a few days.
NOTE 23: Many Bay Ridge numbers were replaced by Sunset numbers effective with the October 11, 1911 directory. However, the Sunset exchange was started in 1908.
NOTE 24: This exchange appears to have first begun in the May 10, 1906 directory, but that is an estimate based on a limited amount of searching. More research may be necessary.
|Click here to send any comments, suggestions, or other help (other than contributing new information).|
|Click here to send any information you wish to contribute to this site.|
|Sign up for your own site|
Last modified February 19, 2015.